The best thing in the summer is a good side dish! Austin normally grills, so the sides are up to me! Sometimes, I find it hard to keep up the variety- but changing up the spices using really similar ingredients always helps! For this recipe, slightly adapted from 12 Tomatoes, I used cumin and chili powder…it reminded me of the very first time I tried quinoa (recipe here).
The side dish was a hit! I also ate it for lunch the next day!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (according to package instructions)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen mix of peppers and onions (thawed and warmed)
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Servings: 6-8
- Difficulty: easy
While preparing the quinoa, whisk together the oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
When the quinoa is done cooking, fold in all the other ingredients.
Serve warm or refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.